People frequently refer to an intense love for something when they say that they are having an addiction to something. Certainly, you could truly enjoy watching some videos or you may listen to some podcasts etc. But they are not called addictions. The brain is negatively impacted by addiction, a dangerous illness. It is challenging to think about anything else when one is truly addicted. Even when your need has a detrimental impact on you or your loved ones, you are motivated to keep looking for that thing. With this definition, it may be simple to classify some relationship behaviors as “relationship addictions.”
Relationship addiction is one in which you offer your spouse excessive amounts of attention while not giving yourself enough of it. Without their spouse, a person in such a relationship feels incomplete or miserable. It may be a sign of addiction if you cannot function normally without a partner, rely on your romantic relationship for the fulfillment, or discover that your behavior is having a negative impact on your legal or social standing.
Signs and symptoms of addictive relationships
- Things in the relationship seem more difficult
- There is a need of falling in love again
- A feeling of codependency
- There are highs and lows in your relationship
- You keep on thinking about your relationship the whole day
- In this relationship, you never feel like your best self
- There is a feeling of nervousness all the time
- You are questioning your own self
- Your self-esteem has lowered
- You feel fatigued
- There is a feeling of loneliness being in a relationship
- You fall towards other addictions lately
- You stopped talking about your own interests
- You’ve started behaving in ways you’re ashamed of
- Your life is misbalanced
- You lie to friends and family about certain aspects of the relationship.
- Even if you frequently desire to leave, you simply can’t.
- rushing into a new relationship’s commitment
- Panic and anxiety symptoms when thinking of breaking up with someone
- relying on sexual activity to get through relationship difficulties
Who can become addicted in a relationship?
Even if the relationship does not bring out the best in you, relationship addiction indicates that you cannot function without being in a romantic relationship. Many often, those who struggle with this addiction are unaware of their self-harming tendencies. You can become aware of the issue because of a sudden trigger or a friend. If that happens, it’s crucial to speak with an Online Therapist India because abusive relationships can harm your mental and physical health.
But being in need of affection doesn’t automatically indicate addiction. In fact, some scientists contend that because the chemical and psychological impacts of addictive behaviors and love-based attachments are so similar, it is possible that both depend on the same physiological foundation.
Causes of relationship addiction
If a person has observed their parents having a healthy relationship, they are less likely to develop a relationship addiction. However, in most cases, our parents teach us about relationships, so if their relationship is unhealthy, we are learning how to create unhealthy relationships.
When it comes to identifying an unhealthy relationship, we do not even know where to start. In actuality, a toxic relationship may feel both intensely unsettling and familiar. Relationship addiction is frequently caused by trauma, poisonous guilt, and a “failure of love” – having our needs fulfilled as children. A relationship is then an effort to obtain outside approval.
Treatment of relationship addiction
It might be challenging to recover from relationship addiction. You can find it difficult to change your behavior if it stems from unresolved trauma on your own. For this reason, consulting a therapist might be necessary sometimes times. The underlying issue will be located by a therapist, who will also treat your cognitive processes. Then, by establishing limits, they will assist you in creating healthy relationships. Unfortunately, relationship addicts often need the “high” of being in a new relationship, which might prevent them from having enduring, secure partnerships.
You can acquire the love you want without becoming overly reliant on your lover by managing these “cravings” with the assistance of a Best Therapist in India.
Tips for overcoming relationship addiction
- A healthy relationship requires effort. Things usually appear simple at first because you get along well, have similar interests, and rarely disagree. However, as you get more at ease, your distinctions may start to stick out. This does not imply that the marriage is over. It simply means that you must cooperate in order to better understand one another and discover common ground.
- Prioritizing other solid relationships can be achieved by spending time with friends and family. In addition to romance, the ties you share with your loved ones can satisfy other crucial social connection demands.
- Practicing self-love and practicing positive self-talk will also help. Lack of self-love or self-esteem can lead to relationship dependence and behaviors that resemble addiction. Evaluating whether you have reasonable expectations for yourself. Recognizing negative self-talk will also help in overcoming addictive relationships.